The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Renting a Dobro

Does anyone knows where to rent a dobro? Silvan music does not. I want to rent one for about 6 months to mess around with and see if I want to buy one.

Thanks,

Mike Wilson

Cancel

Mike:
Renting is impossible and in the long run will cost you more than buying an inexpensive one. Try the Classifieds on www.resohangout.com for a used dobro or look on eBay for a less costly dobro and try it. If you don't like it, you can sell it for 50-75% of what you paid for it. My bet is once you try it, you will like it and will almost immediately want a better quality one.
Lou

Cancel

Hi Mike, Are you wanting to rent one to see if you like that particular Dobro or do you just want to see if you like playing one in general? We bought our first one for about 250. We had it for awhile and enjoyed it. Then we got a better one and sold the first for 200.My response agrees with Lou's. I bet you'll like playing one. I sure do! Good luck!

Edited Sep 19, 2014 by Leslie Abbott
Cancel

I bought one in Jan.1994 - a Dobro brand Dobro, just before Gibson bought Dobro. I had never played before & was just trying it out. I've been so happy with this instrument, especially after having it set up by Paul Beard. I think you will like it so much that you will either keep the one you get or you will get a better one soon. Learning the dobro has been one of the best things I have ever done!!! I agree with Lou & Leslie.

Cancel

Hey Mike-I have a 1977 Dobro-Dobro in great condition with Beard setup and cone mod. It has new strings but they have been on there about a year-not played. Also included with the Dobro is six instruction books, one cord book, eleven instructional cd's and two instructional VHS tapes-one of which is the Murphy Method. Not sure about the rental-I'm in Ala.-but will give you a great price for all.
You can email me if [email protected] Thanks Bob

Cancel

Sorry Mike-the url posted wrong-it should be [email protected]

Cancel

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to ask Santa for one; that is if my wife will allow another instrument in our house.

The thought came to me when I rented a clarinet at Silvan for my son. A $400 instrument for $20/mo, and I thought I might be able to try one out for six or so months at a similar price.

Cancel

Get an Ol wreck of a guitar and purchase a nut raising adapter from a music store for around five dollars. The nut raising device can be used on a newer guitar but I would not leave it on for too long it may warp the neck or cause a problem with the body, if you attempt to use a common Dobro tuning like open G. Even a piece of wood pencil or small wood dowel with a slot cut into it to fit over the nut would work. Let us know how you make out. Like the Abbott's always say, it's about having fun.

Cancel
to write a reply.