The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Great System!

Although I'm just a Dobro beginner with your ToneWay system, I've found it very easy to progress from confusion to actually making music, in a short time, after laying other systems aside.
I agree with your analogy of a child learning to walk. Most other systems of music stresses learning and practicing the scales, until you can play several of them from memory, before you actually move on to playing music. A child doesn't need to know the basics of physics, of weight transfer and momentum, to learn to walk. They learn by doing!
In one of the early lessons your father suggested the title of your fifth “commandment” be changed to “Learning with others”, I agree. We learn faster with others around to help, and for us to help them.
Another suggestion on the “Commandments”. I think you should move the fourth subject to be the first, or beginning. This way people will realize that stumbling is not only acceptable but, is a very important step in the learning curve, and they will not get discouraged right of the starting gate.
I am thoroughly enjoying learning this number system, instead of trying to learn “forward rolls” and “backward rolls”, written out on TAB notation.
Ed

Cancel

Thank you so much for writing Ed! We're very happy that this approach works well for you! Yeah! Yes…stumbling as a child is key! We forget that and often feel mistakes are not okay. I too am learning to play the Dobro. Best wishes! -Leslie Abbott

Cancel

Just starting recently with Toneway. I'm struggling but think I have a better picture of what makes up music

Cancel

Hi Sam, Good! What instrument are you playing? Please let us know if you have any questions. Best, Leslie

Cancel

I am trying to play guitar but have a decent ukulele I haven't used yet. Thanks for your reply!

Cancel

Great! I've made a series of uke lessons starting fromt he very beginning, using the Toneway method. I've made 10. I'm still in the process, if you want to give them a lookie/see. http://toneway.com/learn/ukulele-lessons

Cancel
to write a reply.