The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Term for recurring lyrics in multiple songs

I'm wondering if there's a term for when lyrics from a song recur in one or more other songs. For example, some of the lyrics in East Virginia Blues are nearly identical to some of the lyrics in Katie Dear. And some of the lyrics in Little Birdie match some in Dark Hollow.

I seem to remember coming across such a term (thought it was on this website or forum) but can't remember what it was and can't find it again, despite much googling.

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

Cancel
Hiding 3 posts. Click to show.

Oh, I like that one, too. Seems especially appropriate for folk and bluegrass songs. Thanks!

Cancel

We always preferred to them as zipper verses. Actually, that's all I have ever heard them called.

Cancel

Never heard that one before. I love the zipper image: unzip it from this song and insert it over here. LOL

Cancel

They call them “floaters” and you will usually heard just parts of a lyric in a different song but some times more . They get that term from floating from one song to some other in parts . Some times you also may find same chord progression to song too for whole songs but that's call something unknown to me .

Cancel

I think I heard “zipper” first from Pete Seeger. The other terms are very descriptive too but are all new to me.

Cancel
to write a reply.