The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Harmony Singing Recommendation

Hello All,

What are your favorite harmony singing resources? I have made great progress playing guitar as well as singing lead over the last few years. I still find harmony singing quite difficult. What do you find as the best method for singing harmony parts?

Eric

Cancel
Hiding 3 posts. Click to show.

I have been looking for some help in singing harmony too. The counterpoint seems to come easily, just think every Porter and Dolly duet you ever heard, but the lower one, not the bass, is very hard for me to hear. Are those CD's really helpful? Especially for someone who can't read music.

Cancel

Very helpful. One CD covers harmony above the melody and one covers harmony below the melody. The set contains multiple exercises which I had to do many times before I could start to get the harmony part right. So, just like playing an instrument if you do the exercises you will be able to do it if you don't do the exercises you will not be able to do it.

Cancel

Thank you! I'll get one of the neighborhood kids to show me how to get on Amazon.

Cancel

Thanks everyone.

Cancel

The old fashion (read traditional) way of learning harmony was to sing parts in church choir. That's how many of your original bluegrass players learned.Give it a try. The other traditional way is to use the chords of the guitar to develop harmony lines. Find the lead note in the chord, any chord, and all the other notes have to be harmony notes. It's as simple as that but really not that simple. Another traditional way is to memorize the harmony a group sings in what ever tune you are learning. Many, maybe most, Bluegrass, folk, Old time, whatever players learn harmony that way. I prefer using these 'ear' methods over trying to learn formal harmony from CD lessons or books.

Cancel
to write a reply.