The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Jamming Etiquette

Quick question about leading a song….when there is a break, can you combine a few Banjos together for one and let Guitar and Mandos play together for another break? Or, should you only choose 1 Player of each Instrument?

Cancel
Hiding 6 posts. Click to show.

Oh, I personally LOVE it when two or more different instruments do a call-and-response during breaks! (Like the guitar and fiddle in this example – admittedly NOT a jam, though, but a professional recording that was certainly rehearsed in advance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56uQg73677c )

Cancel

…yep‼️

Cancel

Felix and Harbourne, I thank you for your response and being new to the Bluegrass Community and my Instrument, I appreciate all responses. I hope I learn from this Forum. I was in a Bluegrass Class yesterday and another member and I did Orphan Girl and the goal was to have everyone in the class do a break so we had 4 opportunities. Banjo went first, second break Guitar and Mando, next Cello then fiddle. I must say it was just perfect. The breaks had about 6 players each time except for fiddle and cello, they had their own solo. The point was to give everyone an opportunity to engage, as this was a Gift to our Instructors, incorporating everything we had been taught these last 4 weeks.

Cancel

Beautifully said, Felix, just as you lead a song, when I'm lucky enough to be there. Everybody! Do what he said & & all ears will go home happy! Thanks, Jim

Cancel

Thanks Jim. That's my jam thesis. It's the secret that everyone knows. But it ain't easy! We focus on playing our instrument, so it's hard to focus on the singer/soloist. Jam nirvana will be achieved when one can play good accompaniment while hearing the soloist, every note, and more importantly, their feeling. Only then can the backup be perfectly suited to support the leader.

Cancel
to write a reply.