The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Skype Lessons

Looking for a good “folky” teacher. I'm really starting to like the more traditional songs and want to step up my strumming and add more bass runs, fills, chord/melody, and some basic Travis picking to my playing.

There is more than plenty of information available, but I tend to jump around and go down too many rabbit holes. Need somebody to get me track and make sure I'm not skipping stuff.

Cancel

I'm just like you.
Larry Davison, from Okla.

Cancel

Look up Country Guitar on Line. I’m very impressed by the way they teach, and it’s very reasonable.

Cancel

I really like the video exchange method at Artistworks.com. They have sales all the time. They have a lots of videos of other students playing the same time as what you're working on and you can see and hear the teacher's comments. Bryon Sutton is one of their guitar teachers. I'm taking mandolin from Mike Marshalls and am amazed at my progress over the last 8 months. I even played in a YouTube video with Mike and 31 of his mandolin students!
https://youtu.be/uS860XKgma4

Edited Jun 8, 2020 by Jerry Bradley
Cancel

I started with basicly the same goals you describe and wasted about 5 years on line developing habits that are hard to fix. I am now taking Skype/zoom lessons with Gilbert Nelson. I cannot say enough good things about Gilbert and his teaching ability. Reach him at [email protected]. One phone conversation and you will know if it is a good fit.

Cancel

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at couple of the free Country Guitar Online lessons in the past, went ahead and signed up for the free trial for a month. I'll take a closer look Artistworks too.

But, since I need somebody to say work on this for a week and then show me, so I don't get off track, I'm going to email Gilbert too to see if he has any time slots that will work.

Thanks again, and I'm open for more suggestions.

Jerry

Cancel

I live in Fayetteville, AR–my local instructor, Walter Schmidt, has been conducting lessons via Skype since early March. He is now seeing students on his porch with social distancing but will continue online. He's an excellent teacher–very patient with all his students, but especially children and elder ones like me. I'm a retired teacher, so I appreciate how he personalizes lessons to fit student interests and needs. He works with each student to structure a curriculum to fit the student's interests. For instance, when I began I was most interested in playing traditional folk music. Then, under his guidance, i've developed other interests. If you like, I'll be happy to contact him to ask if he could take on another online student or if he'd be willing to work with you . Just let me know here or at [email protected]

Cancel
to write a reply.