The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

singing on pitch /in key

i would love to sing even one song on pitch /in key/,age 60
i have watched toneway videos and sang along, but my results are enough “to frighten the crows” any help?
Claire

Cancel
Hiding 3 posts. Click to show.

Hello again,
Thanks for all your advice .I sing along with Luke and family and while I'm singing I think “I was ok this time”.I usually record my sing along on my phone.But when I listen back I have to “hide behind the sofa”!!! Anyhow I am having a lot of fun and providing endless mirth for my family .
Thanks again ,
Claire

Cancel

Hi all…I've had this same problem, and I found a partial solution! Since we are singing “mountain music”, try affecting a “mountain voice”…sort of a stereotypical voice that has a hillbilly-type of accent. Now, you aren't using your “real” voice, and you wont be so self-conscious…you are just using a “fake” voice, that cracks and wobbles…because it's supposed to! After you master the fake voice, you can begin to transition into your real voice. -Omar

Cancel

That's such an interesting idea! Getting out of ourselves is very freeing and opens doors. When I was trying to sing blues style, a friend told me to sing it soft and sing like no one can hear it. I felt less self conscious and tried things I wouldn't when I was singing louder. Slowly I started singing it louder. Anyway…good idea Mark, or is it Omar?

Cancel

Hi Leslie! It's Omar or Mark….long story, sorry for the confusion.

I kinda learned my technique of using a strong accent by emulating Luke's voice in the free video lessons, when he is teaching “Shady Grove” very slowly to rank beginners. My jamming friend and I were egging each other on to actually sing, and I did a very exaggerated version of Luke singing Shady Grove, with cracking voice and mountain accent…much exaggerated…it worked!

It was just me playing around, not being serious, not really “me” singing…we laughed and had fun with it, and my singing is improving and my confidence and lack of self-consciousness is growing, just by taking on that other voice. Now my real voice is coming through and I'm letting go of my Luke voice… It's all terrific fun and I send my thanks and appreciation to you and your whole family for all you do to help us all learn to make music, and have fun! -Omar/Mark

Cancel

What actually is singing on pitch?
Pitch can be described in many different ways but in simplified it is the arrangement of sounds, relative to scale. Whether high or low depending upon how many breadths of pitches an individual can sing. Pitch can be classified by the frequency of sound wave vibrations or by what you can hear. Pitches are measured on a chromatic scale of major and minor chords as well as sharps (#) and flats (b). To sing on pitch you would be obligated to match the pitch frequency of that particular key that is being played.
A person who is capable of understanding this is also able to identify or recreate any given musical note in their range because they able to compare between intervals and notes. In addition they have acquired the skill to correctly sing a melody, by pitching every note melody according to its distance from the previous note
Pitch can be described as an auditory feeling in which the listener inadvertently assigns musical tones that are relative to musical scale being played.
Ear training is very important to this technique it is vital that a person wanting to sing on pitch have the aural skills to identify pitches, melody’s , intervals , chords , and rhythms. Being able to identify the role that a single pitch plays is very imperative. Now interval recognition also is useful, it helps to determine the notes in melody, complementary to recognizing the melody of a song is hearing the harmonic piece that help to support it along the way. And the rhythm help to the rhythm helps to keep the time and pattern.
If you feel that you are habitually making this mistake do not be alarmed it is very common for people to sing off key, rather than on key. This can be improved immensely through rigorous ear training. One good way to improve this habit is to sit at the piano and do basic chromatic scales. Each time that you hear an incorrect note immediately, go back and try to sing the note again. After about a week or so you will began to see a difference in your pitch because ear have been exercising your ear to hear pitches in different scales. In addition you should make sure that voice is properly warmed, tension in vocal chords could play a part in not being able to sing on pitch.
All in all singing in pitch will take practice it doesn't always come easy but once you find out how fix it, you realize that it wasn't that difficult to fix in the first place. From there pitch will come second hand and you won’t even have to think about it. You perception of notes and chord will have greatly improved once you have trained your ear to do so. Like I said no can always being in perfect pitch an most times people are sing unconsciously relative to the pitch rather than actually on it , which isn't a bad thing , but it just goes to show that even the best of us aren't always on pitch. But it just takes time and practice. Having rigorous one on one time with yourself is important so that you are allotted the opportunity to discipline your self.

Cancel
to write a reply.