The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Fiddlin Fred Price

Evening Folks,
I was wondering if anyone on this site has ever heard of a man named Fred Price. He was from Mountain City, Tennessee. He was a well known fiddle player, and he played a lot of music with Clarence “Tom” Ashley and Doc Watson. He was my great Grandpa, who died before I was even born. I was wonderin if any of y'all older folks knew him. His son Kenny Price is also a well known Fiddler and Banjo picker. Just wondering. :) Have a nice evening.

Cancel
Hiding 3 posts. Click to show.

Kyle and I know of Fred Price, from old recordings with Clarence Ashley, Doc Watson, Clint Howard, etc. Kenny does a great job with the upside-down banjo… makes my head spin. :-)

Cancel

That is so cool!!!! Makes me happy knowin people know bout my Grandpa! They both were/are talented. I wish I was half that good. :)

Cancel

Hello Hayley, I knew Fred and Kenny a bit in '74 and '77. I visited them at home in Mountain City, played with them, and shared treasured times. I also saw them in Vienna Virginia, and once was with Fred in Johnson City. They were good people, and I connected strongly. I have photos of them from that time.

Cancel

I'm a huge fan of Fred Price. I got a lot of albums he played on. He's been a huge inspiration on my own music

Cancel

Hayley, Was curious if “James Price”, that played fiddle for Dr. Ralph Stanley, was related in any way?

Cancel
to write a reply.