The ToneWay® Project: helping people play music

Cross picking vs finger patterns

Am I right in thinking that the difference between crosspicking and using finger patterns is the use of a flat pick or is there something I'm missing?

Cancel
Hiding 3 posts. Click to show.

Thank you so much Carl, your help is much appreciated. Being a late starter as well, I too have found the carter style much easier to learn.

Cancel

Playing melody notes while cross picking is doable, I play Wildwood Flower and Banks of the Ohio in cross picking patterns. Also flatpick and using middle finger as a pinch is a technique used by many guitarists, George Harrison used it a lot also Roger McGuin of Byrds fame used flatpick and finger picks on middle and ring fingers. I have heard it referred to as chickin' pickin'.

Cancel

Thank you Richard. I'm off to google to look up chickin' pickin'. Haven't heard of it before.

Cancel

The best recommendation I can give you Deborah is to check out Jerry Silverman's groundbreaking Oak Publication on Flatpick Guitar which give chapter and verse and instruction on cross picking? Forget Roger McGuinn Deborah, the late George Shuffler invented cross picking and you will find UTube videos of him demonstrating his technique

https://www.amazon.com/Flat-Pickers-Guitar-Guide-Jerry-Silverman/dp/B009MQNV0E

Edited May 17, 2017 by Kenneth Cooke
Cancel

Thank you Kenneth. I'm off to check out your recommendations.

Cancel
to write a reply.